Spring sprung a few days ago and it came in with snow, here in Hudson Ohio! But with longer days and warmer temperatures just around the corner, this is the perfect time to start a deep cleaning regimen for your home.
This list may take a few days, or even a few weeks, to complete. It’s vital to have the right cleaning supplies and a plan to get everything completed, especially if you want to list your house for sale soon.
Supplies You Will Need
- Trash bags
- Donation bag
- All-purpose cleaner
- Glass cleaner
- White Vinegar
- Dish soap
- Baking Soda
- Antacid tablets
- Toilet bowl scrubber
- Rags or paper towels
- Microfiber mop
- Upright Steam cleaner
- Broom and dust pan
- Take a top to bottom approach with every room.
Use a broom or microfiber cloth to clean everything from cobwebs in the corners to the ceiling fan. Go down, down, down until you reach the floor in every space.
- Wipe down the front of all your cabinets with an all-purpose cleaner.
- Spray the backsplashes of your oven range with distilled white vinegar and scrub with dish soap and water.
- Entirely empty out the refrigerator and freezer.
Put shelves and drawers in bathtub for a thorough cleaning. Soak your ice trays in soap and water. Wipe down every shelf with cleaner. Check for expiration dates and throw out old items.
- Throw out expired food pantry items.
- Use cleaner or bleach to remove smells from your trash can.
Air receptacle outside for several hours.
- Put two antacid tablets in the toilet bowl.
Wait a few minutes and scrub.
- Take down shower curtain and liner. Pick up rugs and mats.
Throw all in the washer.
- If you have glass shower doors, spray mixture of white vinegar and water.
Use your squeegee to wipe down.
- Apply a mixture of white vinegar, dish soap and water to the walls of the shower and tub.
Leave on for three minutes and scrub dirt and scum away.
- Clean all mirrors and windows with glass cleaner.
- Inspect the utility fan.
If filled with dust particles, remove and clean with soap and water.
- Look through the medicine cabinet and makeup drawer.
Dispose of expired prescriptions and over-the-counter drugs. Throw away old makeup.
- Clean out all drains.
- Launder all curtains and throw pillow covers.
- If you have a fireplace, store all wood in a covered pile outside or in a rack in the garage.
Take out the grate and clean it. Remove all ashes. Clean the fireplace and mantle thoroughly with all-purpose cleaner.
- If warm enough, open all the windows and let the fresh air in.
- Strip all beds, spread a cup of baking soda directly on the mattress.
Let it set for a few hours. Vacuum the soda. All odors will be completely gone.
- Wash pillows and comforters.
- Switch out clothing and shoes in your drawers and closet to your spring/summer collection.
While doing so, have a donation bag handy for unwanted items. If you have lining in your drawers, put new ones in them.
- Sweep every floor.
Go over them with a wet microfiber mop. When finished, return to where you started. Use a steam clean sweeper to give floors a final shine.
- Go through every shelf and cabinet.
Throw out broken toys, sports items and tools. Donate duplicates. Recycle old cans and other hazardous materials to Reworks.
- Sweep the floor.
Use a pressure washer to remove remaining dirt off the floor.
- Inspect and reconnect hoses to outside fixtures.
- Vacuum inside of car.
Wipe down interior with all-purpose cleaner.
Want More Household Tips?
In my other blog posts, I have a lot of guidelines about how to keep your home in ship-shape and ready to sell when the time is right. As Hudson’s Hometown Broker, I have the connections, tools and techniques to move your house quickly. Please give me a call/text at 330-608-4647 or fill out my contact form for a free market analysis.