The 2017 Community and Transportation Preference Survey commissioned by the National Association of Realtors (NAR) of 3,000 United States residents from fifty large, metropolitan areas, shows a growing trend that Americans want smaller homes in walkable neighborhoods.
Below are the highlights of the survey. As you will see, Hudson Ohio lines up very nicely with what is important to today’s buyer.
Walkable Survey Insights
Here is the executive summary:
- 88% of survey participants agree if there are places to walk near their home they are more satisfied with their quality of life.
- 86% said that sidewalks are a positive factor when purchasing a home.
- 70% stated greater walkability, a short commute to work and good proximity to highways or public transportation are important influencers when choosing a place to live.
- 62% of Millennials and 55% of the Silent Generation prefer walking and short commuting times, even if it means living in a condo or townhouse.
- 60% said they are willing to pay more for a residence that offers walkable distances to parks, shops and restaurants.
- 54% of young women said that sidewalks are a very important factor in deciding where to live.
- 53% stated they would prefer smaller yards and an easy walk to the community’s amenities.
- 21% of respondents prefer to live in attached homes, such as a condo or townhouse, in a walkable neighborhood versus a detached house in a commuter neighborhood.
How Hudson Ohio Stacks Up
As a longtime resident of Hudson who lives near downtown, I’m proud to share the following amenities the City of Hudson has to offer:
- With a few exceptions, our city has sidewalks everywhere. We have a Walk Score of 76 out of 100 for downtown Hudson, which means most places of interest can be easily accessed on foot.
- Our town is one to five miles from Ohio State Route 8, Interstate 480 and the Ohio Turnpike, making commutes to Akron, Cleveland or Youngstown relatively fast and easy. Metro Akron bus service also runs between Hudson and Akron several times per day.
- We have five condo/townhouse developments, of which three are close to downtown. As of today, there are three units for sale.
- Nineteen beautiful parks and eight hiking trails, several of which are close to downtown
- 100 retail shops and restaurants
- Two grocery stores
- One world-class library
For additional information about Hudson, please check out my resources page.
Thinking of Moving to Hudson?
I’m happy to work with you to find the perfect house, townhouse or condo that will meet your needs! As Hudson’s Hometown Broker, I love this quaint, New England style community. If you are downsizing, please let me give you a free, in home market analysis that will get your home on the market while it’s still very hot!
Please call or text me at 330-608-4647 anytime to schedule an appointment.